Body Positivity Essay Contest
What is body positivity?
Body positivity refers to the assertion that all people deserve to have a positive body image, regardless of how society and popular culture view ideal shape, size, and appearance.
Some of the goals of the body positivity movement include:
- Challenging how society views the body
- Promoting the acceptance of all bodies
- Helping people build confidence and acceptance of their own bodies
- Addressing unrealistic body standards
We at Navigating the Change and The Real Perimeno agree with advocates of the body positivity movement that beauty is a social construct that should not be tied to a person’s self-worth.
However, much of the body-positivity conversation has been focused on body size and fat shaming. We want to add to the conversation by opening up a discussion about age and menopause. Therefore, we’re hosting a body-positivity essay contest to broaden the conversation!
Please consider one of the following question prompts. If you have your own, that’s fine, as long as it is centered on body positivity and age or menopause.
- How do you honor your body?
- What does beauty mean to you (in terms of your body)?
- What has your body positivity journey been like?
- Describe your body positively.
- What advice would you give your younger self about her body?
- How do you feel good about your body at your current age?
- What does body positivity mean to you?
- What does body positivity look like to you?
- How has age affected your own concept of beauty?
- What social constructs (i.e., age, gender, race, etc.) have you overcome that have affected how you view or feel about your body?
Criteria and Process
- Essay must be between 500-1200 words on one of the question prompts.
- Essay must be double-spaced, Times New Roman,12 pt font.
- Essay must be submitted as a Word document or PDF by 11:59 PM (EST), Saturday, February 12, 2022 to email@example.com.
- Essays will be blind reviewed by a panel.
- Winning essayists will be notified by March 1, 2022.
1st Place: The winner will receive $50, a Real-Change Gift Pack, and her essay will be published on Navigating the Change and The Real Perimeno.
2nd Place: The winner will receive $25, a Real-Change Gift Pack, and her essay will be published on Navigating the Change and The Real Perimeno.
3rd Place: The winner will receive $10, a Real-Change Gift Pack, and her essay will be published on Navigating the Change and The Real Perimeno.
Runners-up: Essay will be published on Navigating the Change and The Real Perimeno.