by Chef Cedric
Cedric stops by to share his Asian fusion vegan taco recipe.
Ingredients for Marinade:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 2 red bell peppers, cut in half, seeds and stems removed
Marinate anywhere between 30 minutes and 24 hours.
Ingredients for Asian Pear Salsa:
- 2 medium Asian pears, diced (skin on or off) or 1 large
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed
- 1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped
Ingredients for Gochujang Crema:
- 1/2 cup of vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- 2 tsp of Gochujang
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the marinade.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, pour the marinade onto a shallow baking sheet or into a plastic bag.
- Add the mushrooms, turning to coat.
- Marinate for for 30 minutes up to 24 hours in the refrigerator, turning occasionally.
- While the mushrooms marinate, whisk together the ingredients for the Gochujang Crema in a small bowl. Cover and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients for the salsa together.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Remove the mushrooms from the marinade, but keep the marinade.
- Cook mushrooms for 5 minutes per side or until lightly charred on both sides.
- Slice each mushroom into 5-6 strips. Set aside.
- Grill the peppers for 1-2 minutes per side, brushing with the remaining marinade.
- Slice each pepper half into 5-6 strips.
- Spread the Gochujang Crema on each warmed tortilla. Add shredded lettuce and a few strips of portobello and red pepper. Top with Asian pear salsa, slices of avocado, sesame seeds, green onions, and cilantro (if desired).